Grade 1 addition worksheets
In first grade, children add single-digit numbers and practice the addition facts with numbers from 0 to 10. They solve addition problems with a missing number (missing addend), and use addition to solve simple subtraction problems. Children also learn some about 2-digit addition though that topic is continued in 2nd grade.
These worksheets are generated automatically each time you click on a link. You can print the worksheet directly from your browser window, but first check how it looks like in the "Print Preview".
If the worksheet does not fit the page in the Print Preview, adjust your margins, header, and footer in the Page Setup settings of the browser. Or, adjust the "scale" to 90% or less in the Print Preview. Some browsers may have "Print to fit" option, which will automatically scale the worksheet to be so small as to fit the printable area.
The problem sheets are randomly generated, so you will get a different one just by refreshing the page in your browser (press F5).
All worksheets come with an answer key.
Jump to worksheets for:
- Adding two single-digit numbers - sum 7 or less
- Adding two single-digit numbers - sum 10 or less
- Missing addend - sums with 6
- Missing addend - sums with 7
- Missing addend - sums with 8
- Missing addend - sums with 9
- Missing addend - sums with 10
- Missing addend random - sum max 10
- Missing addend random within 10 and 20
- Missing addend random within 1 and 20
- Add three numbers within 20
- Adding whole tens (2 addends)
- Add whole tens (3 addends)
- Missing addend - whole tens
- Complete the next ten
- Add a 2-digit number and a 1-digit number mentally - within the same ten
- Add two single-digit numbers using the “trick” with nine and eight
- Add two single-digit numbers using mental math strategies, such as the trick with nine and eight, doubles or “doubles plus one more”. Students are not required to remember these sums by heart in 1st grade.
- Add a 2-digit number and a 1-digit number in columns - no regrouping/carrying
- Add two 2-digit numbers in columns - no regrouping/carrying
- Add a 2-digit number and a single-digit number in columns - figure out the missing addend
- Add two 2-digit numbers in columns - figure out the missing addend
Students should be provided a 100-bead abacus, base ten blocks, or some other manipulative for the addition problems in the worksheet below. They are not required to solve the problems by writing one number under the other (pencil & paper). The idea is to use a manipulative.