Fraction worksheets 1
Fraction addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division
This worksheet generator produces a variety of worksheets for the four basic operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division) with fractions and mixed numbers, including with negative fractions. You can make the worksheets in both html and PDF formats. You can choose like or unlike fractions, make missing number problems, restrict the problems to use proper fractions or to not to simplify the answers. Further, you can control the values of numerator, denominator, and the whole-number part to make the fractions or mixed numbers as easy or difficult as you like.
Basic instructions for the worksheets
Each worksheet is randomly generated and thus unique. The answer key is automatically generated and is placed on the second page of the file.
You can generate the worksheets either in html or PDF format — both are easy to print. To get the PDF worksheet, simply push the button titled "Create PDF" or "Make PDF worksheet". To get the worksheet in html format, push the button "View in browser" or "Make html worksheet". This has the advantage that you can save the worksheet directly from your browser (choose File → Save) and then edit it in Word or other word processing program.
Sometimes the generated worksheet is not exactly what you want. Just try again! To get a different worksheet using the same options:
- PDF format: come back to this page and push the button again.
- Html format: simply refresh the worksheet page in your browser window.
Tip: chose value 1 to be a fraction and value 2 to be a mixed number, and then tick the box of "Value 1 - Value 2 random switching" to make problems where either the first or the second number is a mixed number. Just experiment with the options to customize the worksheets as you like!
Here are some quick links for ready worksheets. Refresh the worksheet page to get another of the same kind.
- Addition and subtraction of like fractions (2 fractions, easy, for 4th grade)
- Addition and subtraction of like fractions (3 fractions, for 4th grade)
- Addition and subtraction of 2 mixed numbers with like fractional parts (for 4th grade)
- Add & subtract 2 unlike fractions (for 5th grade)
- Add & subtract 3 unlike fractions (for 6th grade)
- Multiply a fraction by a whole number (for 5th grade)
- Multiply fractions and mixed numbers (mixed problems, for 5th grade)
- Division of fractions, special case (answers are whole numbers, for 5th grade)
- Divide by fractions (mixed problems, for 6th grade)
- Add two unlike fractions (incl. negative fractions, for 7th-8th grade)
- Add three unlike fractions (incl. negative fractions, for 7th-8th grade)
- Add or subtract 2 unlike fractions (negative fractions, for 7th-8th grade)
Worksheets for comparing fractions
Worksheets for equivalent fractions
Worksheets for fraction addition
Worksheets for fraction multiplication
Worksheets for simplifying fractions, and converting fractions to mixed numbers and vv.
Interactive Unit Fractions
Drag unit fraction pieces (1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5, 1/6, 1/8, 1/9, 1,10, 1/12, 1,16, and 1/20) onto a square that represents one whole. You can see that, for example, 6 pieces of 1/6 fit into one whole, or that 3 pieces of 1/9 are equal to 1/3, and many other similar relationships.
Fraction worksheets generator
Use the generator below to make customized worksheets for fraction operations.
How many numbers to use in the problem?
(Number 3 follows the settings for value 1, and number 4 follows the settings for value 2.)
Extra vertical space below the problems: lines
(PDF worksheet only; the orientation of an html worksheet can be set in the print preview of the browser)
Font: Font Size:
Cell Padding: Border: Bordercolor:
Key to Fractions Workbooks
These workbooks by Key Curriculum Press feature a number of exercises to help your child learn about fractions. Book 1 teaches fraction concepts, Book 2 teaches multiplying and dividing, Book 3 teaches adding and subtracting, and Book 4 teaches mixed numbers. Each book has a practice test at the end.